Annual Fire Extinguisher Inspection
A portable fire extinguisher is perhaps the most familiar fire protection device in your building. It is your first line of defense. However, like all aspects of your fire protection system, a fire extinguisher is only effective if it is properly maintained and used.
NFPA 10, Local AHJ’s and Insurance Underwriters require your fire extinguishers to
- conform to the applicable NFPA standards for installation
- be inspected monthly
- be inspected and tested annually by an authorized certified fire protection professional
- undergo scheduled maintenance at 6 and 12 year intervals
Fire Extinguisher Inspection
At Brigade Fire Protection, our fire protection specialists check that you have the correct type of portable fire extinguishers in appropriate locations throughout your facility. We ensure their physical and mechanical condition comply with NFPA and other regulations as well as your insurance requirements. Our fire protection specialists monitor your fire extinguishers’ mandatory recharge and pressure testing dates, and document all test results in accordance with NFPA 10.
Fire Extinguisher Inspections and Staff Training
Life safety is our profession and we are passionate about protecting yours. We pride ourselves on delivering quality customer service each and every day. Rest assured that our inspections go far beyond the code guidelines. Every business and application are different, and it is the responsibility of our certified technicians to gain an understanding of you operation and perform thorough and competent inspections and recommendations as to your business. We also provide training to your personnel on monthly visual inspections.
Because fire extinguishers are your first line of defense, building occupants must be familiar with and comfortable using them. As a full-service fire protection company, Brigade Fire Protection will help you select and properly install your fire extinguishers, as well as provide safety training for your staff and tenants.
NFPA 10 requires a thorough annual examination of your portable fire extinguishers’ mechanical parts, extinguishing agent and expelling means by an approved fire protection service.
These annual maintenance and functional tests for portable fire extinguishers include but not limited to:
- Location pressure tamper indicator, hose/nozzle sign, hanger, hazard assessment
- Location in designated place
- No obstruction to access or visibility
- Operating instructions on nameplate legible and facing outward
- Safety seals and tamper indicators not broken or missing
- Fullness (confirmed by weighing or lifting)
Obvious physical damage, corrosion, leakage or clogged nozzle
- Pressure gauge reading or indicator in the operational range or position
- Condition of tires, wheels, carriage, hose and nozzle (for wheeled units)
- Conductivity test of all carbon dioxide and hose assemblies
- Ensure extinguishers are in proper operating condition
- Check safety seals, tags, pressure gauge reading, HMIS table
- Empty and recharge all stored pressure-loaded stream fire extinguishers
- Determine six-year maintenance or hydrostatic test
- Inspect shell and nameplate
- Check hanger and proper mounting
Reputable Fire Protection Service
After any maintenance, we install new tamper seals with fully documented test results as required by NFPA 10. In addition we provide reports for your local building officials.
The regulations governing the inspection, testing and documentation for fire extinguishers can be complex and overwhelming. Rather than set out all the requirements here, we strongly recommend that you rely on a reputable fire protection service to take care of your portable fire extinguishers.